Friday, October 9, 2009

Why We Want You to Be Rich -- by Donald J. Trump and Robert T. Kiyosaki



Donald Trump is an icon -- I think that I have watched every season of "The Apprentice" and likely read and hear about him elsewhere from various news or American pop culture sources. Several years ago, I read one of Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad books.  Therefore, I consider myself somewhat familiar with these two authors and what they stand for.  Nonetheless, I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. Billionaire real estate mogul Donald Trump partnering with millionaire and top personal finance author Robert Kiyosaki on a book about being rich.  It certainly isn't a "how-to" book, but I didn't expect that.  It discusses their shared passion for real estate, but it doesn't really offer any advice specific to that field.  They both share personal stories about family, friends, and their own experiences (failures and successes), but it is not auto-biographical.  While there is much in this book that is inspirational, I wouldn't say that is the focus of the book either.  Instead, I would categorize this book as "applied philosophy" discussions in which Donald and Robert share their viewpoints on core values and principles that make people wealthy, successful, and happy.  As you might expect from these two, this book thinks big.  They discuss their viewpoints on the global economy, America's financial problems, and how by becoming rich, people can become part of the solution.  Donald and Robert both point out that the world of today is not what the typical baby-boomer, say, was educated to achieve in.  They both seem truly committed to financial education and I sensed a genuine desire to help others through teaching.
If you are looking for a blueprint for becoming rich, this is not your book.  If you are expecting a business textbook, you will likewise be disappointed.  If you want some insight into Trump's and Kiyosaki's guiding principles and values, as well as how and why they differ from commonly understood and practiced financial approaches, then I think you will be glad you read this book.  In the end, this book educated me, it helped me try to think bigger, it forced me to reflect introspectively, it inspired me, it scared me, and it encouraged me.  Above all, it reinforced that, in the end, I am the one ultimately responsible for my financial (and other) success and failure.  I found this book a "page-turner" just as I might a good novel.  I now want to dedicate more energy towards the types of financial and business education and experiences discussed in this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment